Thursday, November 29, 2012

Empty Out The Fridge Pizza...

Okay so one thing I HATE is throwing away good food.  You know the deal - you make a recipe - you use half of something and then end up throwing away the other half - so annoying!  One good thing about it is making something new - that you have never made before - and something I constantly do is use those foods to make a funky pizza.  I like to pick up a pizza crust from my favorite pizza place and start creating.

This is one that I made after Thanksgiving.  I had a Butternut Squash leftover that I wanted to use so I scoured the fridge to find things that would taste delish with it.

Here is what I came up with...

Butternut Squash, Bacon, Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Pizza (Yeeesssss)

Ingredients:

1 Pizza dough crust from the grocery store or local pizzeria 
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 T. Olive Oil
1 Onion, sliced thinly
4 Pieces of Bacon
1 C. Cream Sauce (I make my own but you can buy some at the store)
1 C. Balsamic Vinegar (optional but I think the reduction really makes the pizza) 
1/2 C. Blue Cheese, crumbled
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Toss your butternut squash in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper in an oven safe baking dish and place in the oven.  Roast for about 30 minutes - make sure to check on it a few times and mix it around a bit.  When the squash is nice and roasted take out and let it cool down.

While your butternut squash is in the oven, heat a skillet (I used my cast iron) over medium high heat.  When the skillet is hot, add your bacon.  Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside.  After you take out the bacon, keep the bacon fat in the pan, and add your onions.  Sauté your onions in the fat until they are a nice golden brown and put aside.




Spray your pizza pan with some nonstick cooking spray and roll out your dough.  Add the cream sauce to the pizza.  Next add the rest of your toppings (minus the balsamic vinegar) and pop the pizza in the oven for about 15 minutes - until the crust gets nice and golden.




While your pizza is cooking, place the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Once you have it at a boil, reduce to a simmer and reduce to about half.  After the pizza is a little cooled, add the reduction to the pizza and it is done!  It is amazing - and now I wont have to throw anything away :)

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment