Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Our Family's Stuffing Recipe

So... as adventurous as I like to be in the kitchen - there are a few things that need to stay traditional.  For me, one of those recipes is my mom's stuffing for Thanksgiving.  It is so delicious and so easy and everyone loves it.  Every time I host Thanksgiving - making the stuffing is my favorite part.  My mom and I do it together and it a tradition that I never want to change.

There is a lot of controversy out there about stuffing your turkey - you shouldn't because it isn't able to cook fully - or bacteria can form - but I am here to tell you that we stuff that bird as much as we can - and then cook the rest on the side in a casserole dish.  You know what goes first?  The bird's stuffing.  It just tastes SO much better... so do as you wish - but this recipe works both in the turkey and out.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

My Momma's Stuffing

Ingredients:
2 12oz. Bags of cubed herb stuffing (I like Pepperidge Farm)
4 T. Salted Butter
2 12oz. Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Regular Sausage, defrosted
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
5 apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
4 cups of turkey broth (if you cannot find turkey, chicken is fine)
1 T. poultry seasoning
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
Brown sausage in a large dutch oven.  Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Add butter to the dutch oven and sauté the onions and celery until translucent.  Add apples and cook for 5 minutes.  Add back in the sausage and mix well.  Turn off heat and add one bag of stuffing with 2 cups of broth. Mix until everything is well incorporated.  Add the second bag and the rest of the broth and mix again.  

I like to make up the stuffing the night before and store it in the fridge until I am ready to stuff my bird.  

Here is a picture of Thomas the Turkey from last year ready to be served.  I hope you all have a very happy holiday with your families :)



1 comment:

  1. Oh great...when do you put the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning in it???

    ReplyDelete