Monday, November 26, 2012

Football Food... Sticky Spicy Drumsticks

So I don't know about you - but I love the quality of food at Whole Foods but not the price.  So I try and get whatever meats they have on sale to help a bit.  This week they had these beautiful drumsticks on sale and I couldn't pass them up!

So what to make... I love chicken and how versatile it is and really can take on whatever flavors you are in the mood for.  So today it was sweet and spicy - I love those two flavors together.  So I searched my pantry and came up with this quick marinade.  It was easy to make, and I had everything on hand - I will definitely be making this one again!

Sticky Spicy Drumsticks

Ingredients:

4 lbs. of Chicken Drumsticks
1/2 C. Honey + 2 T. 
2 T. Soy sauce (I like the low sodium)
2 T Hot Sauce (Sriracha is preferred)
1T. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 t. Minced garlic
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients and add to a large Ziploc bag.  



Pat your drumsticks dry and generously salt and pepper them.  Add the drumsticks to the bag and make sure that your marinade is covering all of your chicken.  Let them marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.  I let mine go for 4 hours and they really tasted yummy!



Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Transfer your chicken and marinade into a large roasting pan or baking dish with high sides.  Brush your drumsticks with the remaining honey and season with salt and pepper.  

Bake the chicken, basting it often with the juices of the pan until it is well browned and the sauce looks nice and sticky.  Mine took 40 minutes, you can use a thermometer and make sure it is 165 degrees.

Serve the chicken on a platter and drizzle with the sauce - it was amazing!!





I will make these again for the next Pats game - I think this marinade would be great on wings too!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. mmmm those look fantastic I will be trying these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey - going to try this again...looks like my first comment didn't get posted. I am Chessie's "sister-in-law" (I live w/ her bro-in-law) and saw her comment about your blog on FB, so had to check it out. I blog for fun about cooking and food, too, and we even picked the same background! I agree this marinade would be great on wings - I'll give it a try for the next football game get together! I am at http://www.thyme-well-spent.blogspot.com/ - stop by, I'd love to hear what you think! Take care, Jen

    ReplyDelete